Doing exercises daily is considered a great way to keep yourself healthy. But according to some medical research, exercise can also help cancer patients to improve their quality of life.
Cancer is a serious disease that can affect your emotional and physical well-being. It can not only affect your health but makes you feel vulnerable. To recover from this health condition cancer treatment in India focus on reversing the disease with a healthy diet and exercise. They can provide you with the best food chart that contains the list of cancer reversing foods.
Apart from these spending 20-30 minutes daily on low to moderate levels of exercise can improve your physical and mental health. There are many cancer care team who suggests their patients stay active before and after cancer treatments. However, you must seek medical advice from your oncologist before starting any physical activity. Because your health expert can give you proper advice regarding what is right for you.
Continue reading to understand the benefits, tips, and types of exercises for cancer patients.
Benefits Of Exercise For Cancer Patients
There are many benefits of exercise during chemotherapy and cancer treatments. Some of these exercise benefits include –
- Exercise can reduce your treatment-related fatigue.
- Exercise can improve your energy levels and help you lead a healthy life.
- It can improve the quality of your life by reducing feelings of anxiety and depression.
- Exercise can reduce the recovery time needed after surgery for lung cancer.
- It helps in strengthening your muscles and reduces your risk of falls.
- Exercise not only helps maintain your weight but also improves your sleep.
- It can reduce the risk of developing osteoporosis.
- Performing exercise during cancer can also reduce the risk of developing heart disease and diabetes.
- Physical activity can also help manage side effects of cancer treatment like nausea and fatigue.
- A moderate level of exercise can improve your blood flow and reduces the risk of blood clotting.
Useful Tips To Get Started With Exercise For Cancer Survivors
Before starting your exercise routine you must go through the points mentioned below –
- Ask your doctor before starting any kind of physical activity. They can advise you for the best depending upon on health condition.
- It takes time to reach a normal fitness level. Don’t get frustrated easily.
- Start with easy exercises and move slowly to different levels of exercises.
- Include fun activities in your daily routine to reduce stress and anxiety.
- Experiencing fatigue during the treatment of cancer is a common side effect. You must avoid exercise during periods of extreme fatigue as it can injure your body.
- Make sure to take frequent breaks while doing exercise.
- Ask a close friend or family member to be with you during the exercise hours to motivate you.
- You can watch your favorite TV show or tune into a melody to make the exercise fun and easy.
- Take a hot pack massage after exercise to improve your blood flow and manage aches and pains.
- If the treatment of cancer has weakened your immune system, then you must exercise in a safe environment like your home.
- Stay hydrated during the workout to avoid dehydration.
- Stay away from public gyms and crowds as it may increase your risk for infection.
Must Read: The 8 Best Fruits, Good For The Heart Health
How to Include Physical Activity in Your Daily Routine?
Here is some daily exercise routine for cancer patients that can help them live healthy lives.
- You can take a 10-20 minute walk after having dinner.
- Mow the grass or weed your garden as a part of light physical activity.
- You can participate in games like jump rope and let your inner child come out.
- Try to use the stairs instead of elevators.
- Get a fitness tracker to increase the number of your daily steps.
Best Exercises For Cancer Patients
Flexibility exercises like stretching can improve the flexibility of joints and muscles. Physical and mental fatigue can affect a cancer patient. But stretching is considered the best exercise for cancer patients. Because it helps to overcome stiffness and can also delay any loss of flexibility.
Regular stretching exercise after cancer treatment can prevent the build-up of scar tissue. It can help you restore your range of motion so that you can get back to your normal life.
You should perform these exercises three to four times a week. Warm up your muscles before stretching and stretch slowly. Keep breathing normally while stretching. Yoga exercises for cancer patients fall under this category. It can help you improve your physical and mental well-being.
Walking is one of the best health exercises that helps you reduce extra weight by burning calories. But this easy exercise helps prevent cancer and also reduces the chances of developing heart disease and diabetes.
As soon as the first ray of the sun appears in the sky, you must step outside and walk for 10-20 minutes daily. Walking is a good exercise to prevent breast cancer in women.
Make walking a daily habit and choose to wear the right shoes that provide you good flexibility while walking. And take a couple of minutes to stretch before walking that will help relax your muscles.
Keep in mind to take quick but smaller steps while walking. Also, break your walk into short intervals until you get stronger.
3. Breathing Exercises
People suffering from lung, cancer experience shortness of breath. That’s why breathing exercises for cancer patients are considered best as they can help you accomplish daily activities.
These types of exercise program for cancer patients can help regulate their breathing during activity.
To perform a breathing exercise relax your shoulders, and straighten your back. Then place your hands on the sides of the chest and breathe in slowly through your nose.
Hold your breath for at least 3 seconds and then exhale through your mouth. You can perform this exercise by taking 3 deep breaths every 30 minutes.
4. Strength Training
Strength Training exercise classes for cancer patients strengthen their weakened muscles. Usually, people affected with lung cancer may benefit from this exercise. It is one of the most recommended exercises after chemo that can help you improve your balance and posture.
Some cancer treatments cause osteoporosis in cancer patients. Strength training exercises can help fight this disease by increasing your bone strength.
According to a medical survey, bicycling exercise can prevent cancer. It is a cancer-fighting miracle that can reduce the risk of dying from cancer as well as heart disease.
According to this research, a large number of people in the U.S. who opted for cycling have been founded the healthiest person. Even 5 minutes of cycling can reduce stress and anxiety. It lowers your chances of developing diabetes, and heart disease and also builds your muscle strength.
If you are diagnosed with cancer, then start the amount of cycling slowly. Drink plenty of water to keep yourself hydrated and don’t opt for cycling if you feel exhausted or unwell.
Swimming is another beneficial exercise program for cancer survivors. It can increase red blood cell count, and blood volume which results in increased oxygen delivery to the human organs. Swimming is considered a great exercise after cancer treatment that improves your mood and reduces stress. It also improves your strength and fitness.
But you should never swim during the cold season or when the pool is crowded. Also, try to wear loose clothes while swimming if you have undergone radiation therapy. It is better to consult your physician regarding this physical activity if you are undergoing cancer treatment.
7. Back Exercises
Back exercises are also good for a cancer patient and they can be performed easily at home. To perform back exercises follow these steps-
- Sit in a chair and join your hands together.
- Lift your arms slowly above your head.
- Now bend your trunk to the right and keep your arms in the same position.
- Bend to your left side and get back to the starting position.
- Repeat this exercise 5-7 times a day.
Exercise has long been recognized as beneficial to mental and physical health. But now many doctors believe that it may also have direct benefits for cancer patients. Exercise can help cancer patients manage fatigue and depression. But, it is important to consult your doctor before starting any exercise routine. As they can suggest to you the best, understanding all complications and your health condition.
Should exercises be done during cancer treatment and recovery?
Yes, many people exercise during cancer treatment and it helps their recovery. Exercise can decrease levels of stress, support better sleep, help maintain a healthy weight and reduce symptoms associated with cancer.
Which exercise is best for cancer?
The best exercise for cancer is walking. Everyday activity such as walking helps to improve your mood, lower blood pressure and improves the overall strength of your body. Walking also helps to lower stress levels, which can help keep you cancer-free in a very noteworthy way.
Does walking help fight cancer?
The answer to that is yes, walking can be a great way to fight cancer and improve quality of life.
Can you exercise with Stage 4 cancer?
Research shows that you can improve your quality of life with exercise at stage 4 also. However, you must consult your oncologist before starting any exercise.
How much sleep do cancer patients need?
Patients who are receiving chemotherapy or radiation therapy for cancer needs seven to nine hours of sleep a night.
What activities can a cancer patient do?
A cancer patient can do a variety of activities. You can do gardening, exercise, socialize and participate in volunteer work. Talk to your doctor about which activities are safe for you to do.