Walnuts : True Brain food
Walnuts are considered as true “brain food”. It’s not just a coincidence that structure of walnuts resembles our brain. Walnuts are extremely nutritious out of all nuts due to the presence of omega 3 fatty acid. Presence of n-6 (linoleate) and n-3 (linoleate) polyunsaturated fatty acids makes them unique. Moreover it has low levels of lysine is to arginine ratio and high levels of arginine, folate, fiber, tannin and polyphenols. About 65% of walnut is made up of fats. It has minerals like copper. Phosphorus, selenium, potassium, sodium, zinc, manganese and vitamins like folic acid, vitamin B6, vitamin E, thiamine, pantothenic acid, vitamin C, vitamin K, vitamin A and vitamin B12. It is rich in antioxidants like ellagic acid and catechin which is a flavonoid. There are few organic compounds like melatonin, phytic acid, and carotenoids like beta carotene, lutein and zeaxanthin.
Why should you consume walnuts?
- Presence of omega-3 fatty acid, polyunsaturated fatty acids, linoleic acid, alpha linoleic acid, arachidonic acid makes it very good for human heart. It decreases LDL cholesterol, risk of blood pressure and increases HDL cholesterol, blood circulation and also keeps your arteries clean.
- It promotes bone health by absorbing and depositing calcium and thus reducing its excretion.
- It improves metabolism and nucleic acid synthesis.
- It lowers the risk of type 2 diabetes.
- Antioxidants and phenolic compounds reduces the chance of getting cancer. It is considered as natural cancer treating food. It decreases the size of the tumor and their number as well.
- Polyphenolic compounds and phytochemicals present in walnuts reduces inflammation.
- Melatonin induces sleep and gives peaceful sleep.
- It decreases hyperactivity, irritation, stress and anxiety. It treats depression naturally by increasing the movement of dopamine and serotonin which are regarded as happy neurotransmitters.
- It slows down aging, improves memory, cognitive health and therefore prevents dementia and Alzheimer’s health.
- They have few compounds which helps in burning belly fat, prevents overeating and balances blood sugar levels.
- Presence of high amounts of minerals, proteins and fiber makes it essential for one’s reproductive health.
- It naturally treats ADHD as it has omega 3 which boosts both mental and physical health.
- It reduces inflammation therefore benefits asthma, rheumatoid arthritis, psoriasis and eczema patients.
- It is good for liver as it keeps the liver healthy.