Mushroom : One of The Best Anti-Cancer Vegetable
Mushrooms are edible fungi. They are basically saprophytes that is they thrive on dead plants and animals matter for their nutrition. They are loaded with proteins, phytochemicals, B vitamins, copper, selenium, vitamins, minerals, amino acids, antibiotics and antioxidants. They have negligible amounts of fat.
Why should you consume mushrooms?
- Phytochemicals like beta glucan increases the activity of the natural killer cells which helps in the destruction of the cancerous cells. One can see 64% of the reduction in breast cancer for women who frequently consume mushrooms. They contain a substance which inhibits the activity of an enzyme called aromatase which produces estrogen. Lectins found in mushrooms prevents division of cancerous cells. The phytochemicals have anti-cancerous, anti-angiogenic and anti-proliferative properties. These helps in fighting against various forms of cancer like stomach, colorectal and prostate cancer.
- The vitamins, minerals and phytochemicals present in mushrooms enhance all the systems of our body therefore, improves the immunity and reduces the inflammation which is causing the chronic disease.
- It maintains alkaline environment thus making it unfavourable for unhealthy bacteria to grow.
- It lowers cholesterol and increases HDL, improves blood circulation and protects against heart diseases.
- Since it is rich in B vitamins, it helps in improving brain function and also increases activity of neurotransmitters. It prevents against neurodegenerative diseases.
- Being an adaptogen, it helps in reducing cortisol levels which induces stress.
- Since it is extremely low in calories and fats therefore very effective in weight loss.
- One of the most important reason for eating mushroom is that is has vitamin D. Vitamin D protects from bone loss, cancer, depression and mood swings.
- Ideal for diabetics since it has negligible fats, zero cholesterol and very low in carbohydrates. It is packed with minerals and vitamins. It contains natural insulin enzyme which helps in breakdown of sugar. Antibiotics present in mushrooms prevents the diabetic patients from life threatening infections.
- Selenium helps in increasing the bone strength, teeth, hair and nails.
- Potassium being a potent vasodilator regulates the blood pressure.