Want To Lose Weight ? Eat Lettuce
Lettuce was first cultivated by the Egyptians. There are various types of lettuce available like iceberg lettuce, romaine lettuce, crisp-berg, butterhead and red or green leaf lettuce. Lettuce contains moisture, energy, proteins, fats, carbohydrates, dietary fiber and sugar also. It is rich in minerals like calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium, phosphorus, sodium, zinc and vitamin like riboflavin, niacin, folate, thiamin, vitamin B6, vitamin C, vitamin A, vitamin E and vitamin K. It is a great source of chlorophyll as well.
Why should you consume lettuce?
- Lettuce reduces inflammation due to the presence of antioxidants and biocatalysts like lipoxygenase and carrageenan.
- Lettuce prevents death of neurons thus protecting one from neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s disease.
- It effectively lowers cholesterol, LDL cholesterol and also prevents oxidation of cholesterol. This in turn reduces the risk of heart attack and stroke.
- It is sedative in nature, therefore induces sleep. This quality of lettuce has been used in Unani medicine as well.
- Antioxidants found in lettuce neutralises the free radicals thus preventing healthy cells getting converted to cancerous cells.
- Lettuce are antibacterial and antimicrobial in nature therefore, prevents bacterial and yeast infections.
- It has anxiolytic property which helps in reducing stress.
- It has the ability to kill leukemia cells effectively.
- Lettuce improves eyesight due to the presence of zeaxanthin, a carotenoid. It also prevents cataract.
- It keeps the cells hydrated.
- The antioxidants and fiber present in the lettuce, detoxifies the body.
- It prevents premature ejaculation in males. It also improves fertility in both males and females.
- It helps in rejuvenating the skin, protects from UV light, toxins and thus keeps the skin healthy. It increases supply of nutrients and oxygen to the skin cells therefore, keeps the skin glowing.
- It stimulates hair growth by providing micro minerals and nutrition to the hair.
- It prevent birth defects and provides nutrition during pregnancy and lactation.
- The fiber present in lettuce supports digestion, cleans the colon and relieves of constipation.
- Being low in calories, it aids in weight loss.
- It treats various other diseases like gout, cough, ulcers, urinary tract infections, irritable bowel, colitis and anemia.
- Being alkaline in nature, maintains the pH balance of the body.
- It’s glycemic index is almost zero, so it can consumed by diabetic patient easily.