French beans also known as french beans is one of the most versatile and high antioxidant containing food. The best part of green beans is that after it is digested, the nutrients which were absorbed during the digestion process produces its effect for a long period of time. It is rich in vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin K, vitamin B6, folic acid, calcium, silicon, iron, manganese, potassium and copper.
Why should you consume French beans?
- Beans have both anti-carcinogenic and anti-oxidants properties due to the presence of soluble and insoluble dietary fiber, resistant starch, phenolic compounds, micro-nutrients like phytic acid, protease inhibitor and saponins thus, making them “strongest cancer fighting food”. It reduces the risk of breast, colon and prostate cancer. Lutein is an antioxidant which is known for its cancer fighting properties and beans rank number 8 in the list of high lutein containing food. Vitamin C and vitamin K also prevents or actually reduces the risk of cancer development.
- It prevents inhibition of reverse transcription in HIV-1 cells thus slow down the spread of HIV in one’s body.
- It is very good for preventing diabetes. Being a low glycemic food it avoids spikes in blood sugar levels. It should be a part of diabetic meal plan. It helps in increasing the insulin sensitivity that is decreasing the insulin resistance.
- It helps in weight loss as it is low in calories and makes one full by providing good amounts of nutrients. It slows down the the secretion of hunger hormone called ghrelin and thus, preventing the desire of eating again and again.
- It is very effective in lowering cholesterol. Thus, minimising the risk of obesity, diabetes, and heart diseases. It also helps in reducing triglyceride levels. It gives the feeling of satiety. If someone consumes green beans daily their risk of heart attack decreases by 38%. This is because of high content of vitamin K and lutein. Vitamin K pulls back the calcium which is deposited in the arteries and thus, preventing calcification of the arteries. The lutein keeps the artery walls elastic and prevents it from hardening.
- Folic acid and antioxidants helps in reversing infertility and is also good for the infants too.
- It keeps the digestive system healthy by protecting the lining of the gastrointestinal tract. It cures constipation, ulcers, hemorrhoids and acid reflux.
- Vitamin K present in beans helps in building and maintaining strong bones thus, preventing osteoporosis.
- Antioxidants, flavonoids and carotenoids boosts our immune system.
- Zeaxanthin and lutein protects our eyes and prevents vision deterioration.