Health Benefits of Pomegranate
Pomegranate is known as anar in hindi, is a dark red color juicy, tasty and healthy fruit. It is packed with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. It is a rich source of potassium and polyphenols. Polyphenols like hydrolysable tannins called punicalagins, catechins, gallo-catechins, and anthocyanins such as pro-delphinidins, delphinidin, cyanidin, and pelargonidin are found in pomegranate. It has antiviral and antitumor properties as well. The amount of antioxidant is at least 2 to 3 times greater than red wine or green tea. They are useful in treating variety of chronic diseases.
Why should you consume pomegranate?
- It is used to treat various digestive disorders. The peel, bark and leaves of pomegranate are used to sooth the stomach and prevents diarrhea. It’s juice is extremely beneficial in treating cholera, nosebleed and dysentery.
- It act as a blood thinning agent and therefore clears the clots present in arteries and prevents chances of stroke or heart attack. It also improves blood supply to the heart. It reduces bad cholesterol. It regulates blood pressure as well. All this is possible due to the presence of antioxidants and polyphenols in it.
- Since it is rich in antioxidants called flavonoids it reduces the chances of cancer especially prostate and breast cancer.
- Because of its antibacterial and antiviral properties, it helps in treating and reducing dental plaques.
- It reduces inflammation thus treating osteoarthritis.
- It prevents anemia as it supplies iron to the blood and therefore prevents symptoms of anemia too like weakness, dizziness and exhaustion.
- It is extremely essential for a diabetic person to consume pomegranate as it reduces the risk of heart disease.
- It reduces the risk of alzheimer’s disease.
- It prevents aging, wrinkles and also gives glow to the skin.
- It treats postmenopausal symptoms.
- It is also treats erectile dysfunctioning issue.
- It acts as stomachic that is improves functioning of stomach and increases the appetite.
- It is also used to treat syphilis, a bacterial infection which may be transferred due to sexual intercourse.