Fruit Of All Angels - Papaya
Papaya is referred as “ fruits of the angels” by Christopher Columbus. Papaya can be found throughout the year in supermarkets. Papaya contains an enzyme called papain, which helps in digesting the proteins. It is found in highest amount in unripe papaya. They are highly nutritious as they are rich source of antioxidants, carotenes, vitamin C, vitamin B, folate, pantothenic acid and flavonoids.
Why should you consume papaya?
- It is extremely powerful in reducing heart diseases as it prevents oxidation of cholesterol. Cholesterol is harmful only when it gets oxidised so vitamin E, vitamin C and paraoxonase inhibits oxidation of LDL and HDL cholesterol. Fibers also reduce the cholesterol levels. Papaya contains folic acid which helps in the conversion of homocysteine into benign amino acids. If homocysteine levels are not controlled it can significantly damage the walls of the blood vessels and increase the chances of stroke or heart attack.
- Fiber, folate, vitamin C, beta-carotene and vitamin E found in papaya helps in preventing colon cancer.
- As it is low in glycemic index, it is an healthy option for diabetic person to maintain his sugar levels.
- Papaya is anti-inflammatory in nature that is the digesting enzymes papain and chymopapain reduces the inflammation and improves the body from within. Thus by curing or reversing inflammation it treats various diseases like osteoarthritis, asthma and rheumatoid arthritis.
- It prevents from common cold and cough, infections, sore throat and ear infections due to the presence of vitamin A and vitamin C which improves the immunity.
- Papayas are extremely beneficial in preventing and treating macular degeneration.
- Papaya when consumed with green tea has a synergistic effect and reduces the chances of prostate cancer.
- It controls cravings and promotes the feeling of fullness thus aids in weight loss.
- Papain also helps in regulating the menstrual cycle. It reduces the pain and eases the blood flow.
- As, it is packed with vitamins and antioxidants, it is extremely good for skin and hair. It prevents aging and helps in treating dandruff & hair loss issues.
- Since it is rich in vitamin C, it regulates the stress hormones and thus reduces the stress.