A Few Guavas In The Season Keeps The Doctor Away For The Whole Year
Guava is a seasonal fruit and mostly seen or grown in Asian countries. Due to its numerous health benefits it is now consumed in western countries as well. Guava is least chemically treated fruit that is it does not make use of pesticides for its protection. “An apple a day keeps a doctor away” is a very common saying. This phrase has been changed to “A few guavas in the season keeps the doctor away for the whole year”. It is rich in antioxidants, fiber, potassium and vitamin C. It has at least five times more vitamin C than found in oranges. It is often referred as “super-fruit”.
Why should you consume guava?
- It is packed with fiber, minerals, vitamins, proteins and has zero cholesterol. It keeps one full for a long time. Therefore it helps in weight reduction. Surprisingly, it can make thin people gain some amount of weight due to the presence of nutrients and thus regulating their metabolism.
- It helps diabetic people by regulating their insulin and glucose levels, thus preventing and treating diabetes.
- Since it has vitamin A, it is good for eyes. It not only prevents night blindness, macular degeneration and cataract but also improves vision.
- It protects one from prostate, oral and breast cancer. It inhibits metastasis of cancerous cells. Due to the presence of antioxidants and vitamin C it boosts our immune system, fights against free radicals and thus prevents and even cures cancer.
- It prevents scurvy.
- It also prevents diarrhea and dysentery due to the presence of astringent compounds which are alkaline, antibacterial and disinfectant in nature.
- It improves digestive health and treats gastroenteritis as it has vitamin C, vitamin K and carotenoids.
- It also regulates thyroid glands due to the presence of copper.
- The seeds of the guava fruit are laxative in nature therefore helps in healthy bowel movement and cures constipation.
- Guavas makes our brain sharper and stronger due to the presence of vitamin B6 and vitamin B3 which increases the blood flow to the brain and improves brain functioning.
- The juice of guava leaves is extremely good in treating various colds and flu.
- It is very good for skin as it prevents wrinkles, detoxifies skin, tighten the skin and keeps our skin glowing.
- The leaves of guava fruit reduces the pain during menstruation.
- It regulates blood pressure by reducing the cholesterol in the blood. It is hypoglycemic in nature and therefore reduces the blood pressure.
- The juice of guava leaves cures oral ulcers, toothache, swollen gums, heals wound faster, reduces bacterial infections and convulsions.