Queen of Spices - "Cardamom"
Cardamom is known as elaichi in hindi. It is referred as “Queen of Spices”. Because of its aroma and unique taste it can be added to any food and even drinks like hot teas and coffee. Green, black and Madagascar are three known types of cardamom. Cardamom is rich in phytonutrients and manganese especially. It has vitamins like niacin, riboflavin, thiamine, vitamin A, vitamin C, pyridoxine and minerals like sodium, potassium, calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, phosphorus and zinc. Cardamoms are usually very expensive.
Why should you consume cardamom?
- It acts as a natural cancer treating herb. Colorectal and skin cancer can be prevented using cardamom.
- It prevents irregular heartbeat and is therefore good for heart. It can also lower the blood pressure.
- The micronutrients and antioxidant enzymes present in cardamom helps in lowering the cholesterol levels.
- Cardamom acts an anti-depressant and therefore cures depression.
- Manganese helps in regulation of blood glucose levels and therefore treats diabetes.
- It is helpful in treating stomach related issues like stomach pain, flatulence, acidity cramps and ulcers.
- It makes breathing easy and is therefore very good for asthmatic patient. It dilates the bronchi and bronchioles therefore increases the airflow to the lungs.
- It is useful in treating urinary tract diseases like gonorrhea, cystitis and nephritis.
- It helps in treating food poisoning as it has antimicrobial properties.
- It prevents and even reduces muscular spasm.
- Being antimicrobial in nature, it is good for dental health.
- Being anti-inflammatory in nature it reduces inflammation.
- It acts as a detoxifying agent, it removes toxins, free radicals and thus increases the blood circulation.
- It has calming effect and is therefore good for treating nausea and diarrhea.
- It acts as an aphrodisiac. It cures impotency and premature ejaculation.
- It helps in relieving sore throat.
- It even prevents and reduces hiccups.
- It is commonly used as a mouth freshener.