A Vegetable Enjoyed By Everyone - "Carrot"
Carrots are one such vegetable which can be enjoyed by both children and adults. It has this crunchy and sweet taste. It is available in many colors but the most commonly seen are orange and red color carrots. Apart from being delicious, it is highly nutritious. It is rich in fiber, beta-carotene, alpha-carotene, lutein, lycopene, polyacetylene, anthocyanin, zeaxanthin, antioxidants, vitamin A, vitamin K, vitamin B8, folate, vitamin B5, potassium, iron, copper and manganese. Carrots have about 86-95% of the water content. They are mainly formed of water and carbohydrates. They are low in glycemic index as well. Carrot has both soluble and insoluble fiber. Pectin forms the soluble fiber while cellulose, hemicellulose and lignin forms the insoluble fibers.
Why should you consume carrots?
- Lutein, zeaxanthin and beta carotene are the three important nutrients required for eye health and is abundantly found in the carrots. It protects from all kinds of eye disorder like night blindness, macular degeneration and cataract.
- High levels of antioxidants in the form of carotenoids reduces the inflammation, fights against free radicals and thus prevents cancer and leukemia cells formation.
- It protects the heart by reducing cholesterol and increases the bile production which helps in digesting the fats.
- It increases immunity by fighting against bacteria, viruses, toxins which enter our body via our mouth and therefore maintains good oral health also. It prevents one from cavities and tooth decay.
- Beta carotene helps in faster healing of the wounds.
- It improves brain and cognitive function and thus prevents or protect against Alzheimer’s.
- Due to high content of potassium, it regulates the blood pressure. Potassium being a potent vasodilator, increases the blood flow.
- Fiber helps in treating constipation, removes the toxins and thus provides a better gastrointestinal health.
- Carotenoids regulates insulin and sugar levels and therefore good for treating diabetes.
- It is beneficial for skin as it makes the skin smooth and tight.