One of the healthiest food on planet - "Cauliflower"
Cauliflower belongs to the cruciferous family and is regarded as one of the healthiest foods. It is available in many colors but the most commonly available is white one. Cauliflower is rich in antioxidants, phytochemicals and anti-inflammatory compounds. It is rich in folate, vitamin C, vitamin K and potassium. It has minerals like calcium, iron, copper, magnesium, zinc and manganese. Phytonutrients like carotene, lutein and zeaxanthin are also present.
Why should you consume cauliflower?
- It prevents breast, colon, liver, lung, stomach, bladder, cervical and ovarian cancer. Being a cruciferous vegetable it has a chemical compound called glucosinolate. It is a sulfur containing compound. These when digested in our body, prevents growth of cancerous cells.
- Being anti-inflammatory in nature, it reduces inflammation which is the root cause of several chronic diseases and it has high amounts of antioxidants which reduces the free radical numbers and thus preventing oxidative stress.
- Cauliflower is rich in vitamin C, vitamin K, omega 3 fatty acids and antioxidants. These avoid formation of plaque in the arteries and the blood vessels. This reduces the risk of hypertension and also keeps the cholesterol in control. Allicin a compound, found in cauliflower helps in reducing the chances of stroke or heart attack.
- Vitamin K is found abundantly in cauliflower and it prevents bone loss and thus osteoporosis.
- It helps in the detoxification of the body and liver also. Sulforaphane, glucobrassicin and others helps in detoxification.
- Prevents leaky gut syndrome.
- It is excellent for weight loss as it has zero fats and low levels of carbohydrates and sugar. Since it can be consumed in large volume therefore it becomes very filling and decreases the habit of eating again and again.
- It reduces constipation.
- It maintains normal hormonal levels.
- Sulforaphane prevents oxidative stress and therefore prevents blindness, macular degeneration and cataract.
- Indole-3-carbinol treats respiratory papillomatosis. It is a condition where the lungs, bronchi, larynx and trachea is infected with human papilloma virus.
- Sulforaphane present in cauliflower, protects our skin from UV light and therefore prevents cancer and inflammation.
- Sulforaphane and indole reduces the progression of neurodegenerative diseases.
- Vitamin C present in cauliflower strengthens the immune system.
- Folate present in cauliflower is great for pregnant women.
- Presence of vitamin C and vitamin K reduces the risk of diabetes and they help in regulating sugar level in blood.
- Phenethyl Isothiocyanate being anti-inflammatory compound, reduces the inflammation and cures ulcerative colitis.