"Broccoli" - Comes under Top 10 Superfood List
Broccoli forms a part of cruciferous vegetables and comes under the list of top 10 healthy foods. It is extremely rich in antioxidants, fiber, minerals, carotenoids, vitamins, sulforaphane, phytochemicals, vitamin A, vitamin B6, vitamin C, vitamin K and vitamin B9. It helps in improving health and longevity.
Why should you consume broccoli?
- It is one of the most potent antioxidant containing food. Due to the presence of isothiocyanate compound it fights against cancer by lowering the oxidative stress. They reduce the toxins and heavy metals present in our body. They inhibit growth of tumor and DNA damage. It fights against all forms of cancer. It also contains a compound called sulforaphane which prevents cancer development at the first place. It is extremely beneficial for women as it prevents breast and cervical cancer which occurs due to presence of bad estrogen in our body.
- Since it is rich in potassium, calcium, magnesium and vitamin K, it maintains healthy bones, teeth and nails. It prevents fractures and maintains required bone density. It also prevents and treats osteoporosis.
- Presence of fiber and coenzyme Q10 in broccoli makes it effective against lowering cholesterol and heart disease. Lutein, a compound present in broccoli prevents thickening of the arteries and plaque build up. It reduces the inflammation.
- Sulforaphane regulates blood pressure and kidney functions.
- The fiber in broccoli keeps the digestive system healthy. It prevents constipation and irritable bowel syndrome. It also keeps the digestive tract alkaline and maintains a healthy gut flora.
- It act as a natural detoxifier due to the presence of phytonutrients like glucoraphanin, gluconasturtiin and glucobrassicin. These helps in blood purification and regulates liver functioning.
- It is enriched with lutein, zeaxanthin, vitamin A, vitamin C and antioxidants therefore extremely beneficial for eyes. It prevents night blindness, macular degeneration and other eye disorders.
- It prevents skin cancer, aging, wrinkles formation and also protect against UV light.
- Since it is high in fiber, it keeps one full for a longer period of time, thus aids in weight loss.
- It even prevents bruising.