Health Benefits of Bottle Gourd
Bottle gourd is known as Lauki in hindi. It is also known as Calabash Gourd, Trumpet Gourd and Long Squash. It is native of tropical Africa. It is low in calories and rich in vitamin C, vitamin B6, vitamin B5, zinc, potassium, magnesium, phosphorus, lipids, amino acids and have little bit of sodium too. It has high amounts of fiber and antioxidant, anti-bilious and sedative properties.
Why should you consume bottle gourd?
- Bottle gourd being rich in vitamin C lowers the risk of stroke by 50%.
- Vitamin C being a potent antioxidant fights off cancer and also reduces the side effects of chemotherapy. It is effective in treating lung and ovarian cancer.
- The fiber found in bottle gourd regulates the bowel movement and thus removes any food which might have stuck in the colon. It helps in relieving from constipation.
- Vitamin C is great for skin. It helps in reducing the wrinkles and dryness of the skin. It prevents from the ill effects of oxidative damage, stress, pollution, and poor diet.
- Bottle gourd has cooling effect and due to its anti-bilious and sedative properties it reduces stress.
- Vitamin C boosts our immune system thus, prevents from common colds and flu.
- It reduces the risk of pneumonia and other lung infections.
- Zinc regulates both male and female sex hormones production.
- It helps in weight loss as it is mostly water and fiber. The fiber will keep one full and the water keeps you hydrated.
- Zinc keeps the liver healthy by detoxifying it, reducing the inflammation and preventing damage from free radicals or waste buildup.
- Bottle gourd has zero cholesterol therefore, keeps our heart healthy.
- Bottle gourd supports cell growth and division.
- Zinc regulates the insulin hormone production and its secretion from the pancreas therefore, maintains normal levels of blood sugar. It can treat diabetes naturally.
- Zinc helps in utilization of the amino acids and provides energy thus treating chronic or adrenal fatigue.
- The juice of bottle gourd is cardioprotective, aphrodisiac and diuretic in nature. It cures indigestion, ulcers, acidity, inflammatory disorders like rhinitis, bronchitis, rheumatism and asthma.
- The leaves of bottle gourd is used to treat jaundice.