Comes Under Top 3 Nutrient Dense Food - "Bok Choy"
Bok Choy is also known as pak choi. It comes under top 3 nutrient dense food. It belongs to cruciferous family. It has extremely high levels of anti-inflammatory properties, vitamins and minerals. It has insane levels of vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin K, vitamin B6, phytonutrients and minerals like iron, calcium, manganese, magnesium and folate. It has almost zero calories.
Why should you consume bok choy?
- Because of its glucosinolate, sulfur containing compounds and other compounds like indole, nitrile and sulforaphane it imparts cancer fighting property. They protect the DNA from damage. It contains an antimicrobial and antioxidative substance called brassinin which reduces the ill effects of chemotherapy. It treats prostate, colorectal, lung and breast cancer.
- Antioxidants neutralizes the free radicals thus decreasing their load in our body. Vitamin A and vitamin C are powerful antioxidants. Selenium is also present which helps in boosting the activity of the antioxidants.
- Omega -3 fatty acid and vitamin k reduces the inflammation which is the root cause of many chronic diseases.
- Vitamin A and beta carotene are extremely good for eyes and thus prevents age related disorders like macular degeneration, dry eyes and cataract.
- Iron, calcium, magnesium, vitamin K and phosphorus all are required for keeping the bones healthy. These nutrients are alternative to the nutrients found in milk. Vitamin K helps in increasing the density of the bone.
- Calcium and potassium lowers the blood pressure naturally. Potassium ensures blood clotting when necessary.
- Vitamin B6 and folate helps in preventing accumulation of homocysteine thus keeping the heart healthy.
- It keeps skin and hair healthy by producing collagen. It also improves complexion, decreases wrinkles and also treats eczema and acne.
- Vitamin C and vitamin A boosts our immune system and selenium stimulates the production of the natural killer T cells which fights off cold and illness.
- Folate helps in pregnancy, keeps the baby healthy and prevents birth defects.