Power of Beet Root
Beet root is a versatile food as it can be sued in many forms and in any recipe. It has excellent health benefits. It is high in nutrients, vitamins, minerals, organic compounds like carotenoids, lutein, zeaxanthin, glycine, betaine, dietary fibre, folate, vitamin C, magnesium, iron, copper, phosphorus and flavonoids like anthocyanins. It has zero cholesterol but has highest amount of sugar among all the vegetables. Since this sugar is available naturally therefore is not of a concern.
Why should you consume beet?
- The phytonutrients present in the beet named as betalains are anti-inflammatory in nature and has antioxidant properties. It prevents lung, stomach, colon and breast cancer.
- Presence of lutein and zeaxanthin makes it beneficial for eyes. It prevents cataracts, night blindness and macular degeneration.
- Inflammation is triggered by cyclo-oxygenase enzyme, since beet has anti-inflammatory compounds, these anti-inflammatory compounds inhibits the activity of the enzyme. Betaine found in beet fights against inflammation.
- As beet reduces inflammation, it is helpful in lowering the cholesterol and thus regulates blood pressure and prevents heart disease. Nitrates found exclusively in beet lowers the cholesterol levels and improves the function of endothelial cells.
- Glutathiones helps in detoxification of blood, liver and digestive organs.
- Slows down aging process as it keeps our body healthy and free of toxins.
- Nitrates helps in improving physical performance and increases energy.
- It is good for pregnant women as it is rich in folate.
- Betaine improves the functioning of the liver.
- Vitamin C found in beet stimulates the action of the white blood cells which fights against bacteria, viruses and other foreign substance and thus prevents asthma.
- It supports the structure of the capillaries.
- It is used as an aphrodisiac that is as a sexual booster.