Ashwagandha is a Sanskrit word which means “smell of the horse”. Other names for ashwagandha are Indian ginseng and winter cherry. It is referred as adaptogen because it fights against stress. It is one of the most important herbs used in ayurvedic treatment and is based on the principle of natural healing. It helps to reduce the inflammation and growth of tumor due to the presence of withanolides. Withanolides are a group of steroids which helps to increase the communication between the brain cells. Ashwagandha has anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidizing, anti-stress, sleep-inducing and drug withdrawal properties. It is native of India and north Africa.
Why should you consume ashwagandha?
- It fights against diabetes and also tries to reverse the condition. It reduces the blood sugar level by increasing insulin secretion and insulin sensitivity of cells. People who consume ashwagandha for 30 days will see a reduction in their blood sugar level by approximately 13.5mg/dL.
- It is anti-cancerous in nature. It helps to treat breast, ovary, lung, colon, and brain cancer. It induces programmed cell death of cancerous cells and also helps in generating reactive oxygen species which are toxic to cancerous cells only. It even helps to reduce the side effects of chemotherapy. It prevents metastasis that is spreading of cancer from one organ to the other.
- It reduces the cortisol levels and thus stress as it has anti-stress properties. Cortisol is a stress hormone and is often released when a person is in stress or have low blood sugar level but its level gets elevated due to excess stress and leads to high blood sugar level and also increases the storage of fat in the abdomen.
- It helps to reduce anxiety and depression and thus promotes both mental and physical health.
- It helps in lowering inflammation and simultaneously increases the activity of natural killer cells which helps in fighting infections.
- It even helps to lower cholesterol and triglycerides levels and thus decreases blood fats. It reduces total cholesterol level by 53% and triglycerides level by 45%. Thus, helps in lowering the risk of heart diseases.
- It helps increase the testosterone levels and thus boosting sperm quality and reverses infertility in men.
- It helps in reversing hypothyroidism by increasing the secretion of thyroid hormones.
- It helps in improving brain function and increases memory.
- It has hemopoietic properties which helps in increasing both red blood cells and white blood cells count.
- It also prevents seizures.
- It fights against cataract.
- It also helps in maintaining healthy limbs by improving muscular strength.