"Artichoke" - Comes Under Top 10 Antioxidant Rich Food List
Artichoke is referred as “shalifa” in hindi. There are around 140 varieties of artichokes but only 40 among them are grown commercially. They form the staple food for the mediterranean people. Although now available in almost all countries. Artichokes come under top 10 antioxidant rich foods. They are packed with antioxidants, phytochemicals, vitamins, fibers and minerals.
Why should you consume artichokes?
- The first and foremost benefit of consuming artichokes are, it increases the antioxidant levels in your body. Antioxidants fight against oxidative stress created by free radicals thus, preventing cancer. Antioxidants like gallic acid, quercetin and cynarin prevents proliferation of cancerous cells.
- Cynarin a powerful substance present in artichokes helps in reducing the bad that is LDL cholesterol, inflammation and also improves blood circulation. Thus preventing heart diseases.
- It reduces the risk of atherosclerosis and coronary artery disease due to the presence of folate which breaks down the homocysteine, a substance which promotes atherosclerosis and vitamin K which pushes calcium into our bones thus preventing their deposition in the blood vessels.
- It is amazing for detoxing liver. Cynarin and chlorogenic acid heals the liver and helps the kidneys in removing the toxins from our body. Flavonoid Silymarin a powerful antioxidant act as a liver protectant.
- It promotes healthy digestive system. Cynarin boosts the production of digestive bile thus improves digestive health and gut flora. It also cures irritable bowel syndrome i.e. constipation, abdominal pain and bloating.
- Since it is rich in fiber therefore aids in weight loss. As fibers have the tendency to keep us full for a long period of time therefore prevents over eating. The fiber helps in detoxification of wastes, extra cholesterol, sugar and toxins. The fiber helps in slow absorption of glucose therefore does not spike the insulin levels and thus prevents diabetes.
- Artichokes have iron therefore prevents anemia.
- As artichokes are rich in vitamins, phyto nutrients, antioxidants, minerals and fiber they keep our gut healthy and thus keep our skin bright and young.