Nutrient Dense Food - "Apricot"
Apricots are known as khurmani or khubani in hindi. The sun dried apricots are more dense or concentrated in nutrients than the fresh ones. It is an excellent source of dietary fiber, organic compounds, phytonutrients like alpha carotene, beta carotene, lutein and zeaxanthin, antioxidants, phytochemicals, vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin K, potassium, calcium, magnesium and phosphorus.
Why should you consume apricots?
- Fiber present in apricot helps in curing constipation and apricots itself have laxative property. The fiber also stimulates the secretion of digestive and gastric juices which helps in better digestion.
- Calcium, iron, manganese, potassium and phosphorus present in apricot helps in growth and development of the bones. It prevents osteoporosis.
- It is an amazing fruit for keeping heart healthy. It reduces cholesterol as the fiber present in it helps in removal of the cholesterol which is deposited along the walls of the arteries and also fights against the free radicals.
- It helps in maintaining electrolyte balance as it has high levels of potassium and low levels of sodium.
- Apricot oil is very effective in treating earaches.
- Apricot juice treats fever by detoxifying the body and has both soothing and anti-inflammatory effect.
- It reduces the inflammation therefore treats gout and arthritis.
- Apricot oil keeps the skin healthy. It gives glow to the skin and also treats various skin diseases like eczema, acne, itching and scabies.
- Iron and copper helps in the formation of new hemoglobin and thus treats anemia.
- Apricot seeds are very good for treating cancer.
- Apricots are excellent for asthmatic patient as it reduces the attack of asthma and also treats bronchitis and tuberculosis.
- It reduces the risk of alzheimer;s disease.
- Zeaxanthin present in apricots is good for eyes health. It prevents macular degeneration and also filters out UV light.
- It helps in the destruction of the intestinal worms.
- It also aids in removing gallstones.