A superstar fruit - "Fig / Anjeer"
Fig is known as anjeer in hindi. They are considered as a superstar fruit. They are available in both fresh and dried forms. Since the fresh ones are easily perishable, the dried form is widely used and available. The dried form has more concentrated vitamins and nutrients because on drying their nutrient content increases. Figs are high in calories, carbohydrates, proteins and fiber. They are low in fats. Figs contain vitamin K, vitamin B6, manganese, potassium, magnesium, copper, iron, phosphorus, zinc, thiamine, riboflavin and excess amounts of antioxidants.
Why should you consume figs?
- It is considered as high antioxidant containing food therefore it prevents cancer and aging at the first place. Polyphenols present in figs fights against the oxidative stress. It is considered as a natural cancer treatment food. Even colon cancer can be prevented due to the presence of fiber.
- Pectin a soluble fiber present in figs gobbles up the cholesterol and therefore reduces the LDL cholesterol.
- Dried figs contain phenols, omega 3 fatty acids and omega 6 fatty acids. These essential fatty acids lowers the risk of coronary artery disease.
- Since it is high in fiber, it relieves one from constipation.
- It reduces the risk of breast cancer in postmenopausal women.
- Fig leaves are excellent for treating diabetes. It reduces the need of taking insulin externally. Potassium found in figs helps in regulating the blood sugar levels. Fig leaves are anti-diabetic in nature. Chlorogenic acid also helps in lowering the blood sugar levels.
- Figs are high in potassium and low in sodium therefore prevents rise in blood pressure.
- It provides strength to the bones due to the presence of calcium.
- Figs helps in reducing the risk of macular degeneration.
- It even prevents or reduces sore throat due to its high mucilage content.
- B vitamins, niacin, folate, pantothenic acid all helps in improving the metabolism of carbohydrates, proteins and fats.
- It is useful in treatment of various ailments like anemia, liver disorders, paralysis, ulcers, gastrointestinal health and urinary tract infections.
- Being antifungal and antibacterial in nature, it boosts our immune system thus preventing or reducing the chances of infections.