Vitamin C Rich Food - "Gooseberry / Amla"
Amla is also known as Indian gooseberry. Although it tastes little sour and bitter, it is a very nourishing fruit. It can be consumed in both dry and fresh forms. It is used to treat various ailments. It is rich in antioxidant vitamin A, vitamin C, B vitamins, carotene, folate, calcium, iron, potassium, phosphorus, phytochemicals like flavones and anthocyanins.
Why should you consume amla?
- Chromium is essential for diabetic patients. It helps in lowering the blood sugar and prevents any spike in blood sugar levels. It increases the metabolism and is also a beta blocker.
- It strengthens heart muscles and reduces the cholesterol therefore preventing heart diseases.
- Iron present in amla helps in increasing the blood count and new red blood cells formation thus treating anemia.
- Vitamins and flavonoids protects from lung and oral cancer.
- It is known for stimulating hair growth and hair pigmentation since ages. It reduces hair fall and prevents baldness. Carotene, antioxidants and iron fights against the free radicals which damages the hair follicles, thus keeping the hair healthy.
- Vitamin A and carotene present in amla keeps our eyes healthy. It improves the vision and nearsightedness. It also treats or prevents cataract, night blindness and macular degeneration.
- It helps in calcium absorption due to high vitamin C content therefore good for bones, teeth and nails.
- It increases the metabolic activity of our body since it is rich in protein.
- It prevents menstrual cramps.
- Acts as a diuretic that is increases the frequency and volume of urine therefore good for kidneys as it becomes easier for removal of toxins from the body. It also prevents from urinary and uterine infections.
- Since it is high in fiber, it is good for treating constipation and diarrhea. It stimulates the secretion of the digestive juice for better digestion of the food.
- Being antibacterial in nature, it prevents against infections and also increases the count of the white blood cells and therefore increases the immunity. It is a powerful cooling agent therefore helpful in treating dysentery, diarrhea and burning sensation in abdomen.
- It prevents aging.
- It is also helpful in treating liver disorders and respiratory problems.