Most nutritious leafy vegetable - "Amaranth leaves"
Amaranth leaves or amaranth greens are known as cholai in hindi. It is available in both green and red color variety. It is one of the most nutritious green leafy vegetable. It can be consumed in any form. The grains of the amaranth is known as ramdana which is usually consumed during fasts or illness. Their grains are rich in protein and an amino acid called lysine. Amaranth leaves are rich in iron, potassium, magnesium, calcium, zinc, copper, manganese, vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin e, folate, niacin, riboflavin and thiamine.
Why should you consume amaranth leaves?
- It is an excellent source of proteins. Protein is essential for the growth and repair of the cells and the tissues.
- It helps in lowering the cholesterol that is the LDL cholesterol due to the presence of tocotrienols a form of vitamin E. Thus, it prevents coronary artery diseases.
- Potassium and magnesium maintains a normal electrolyte balance in our body. This is useful in reducing the blood pressure.
- Vitamin E, vitamin C and lysine imparts antioxidant properties to amaranth leaves thus fights against oxidative stress and prevents cancer.
- It is an excellent blood purifier.
- It is great for diabetic person as it has anti-hyperglycemic activity and thus lowers the sugar. It even treats obesity in diabetic people.
- It is an excellent source of dietary fiber therefore good for digestive health. It treats constipation, indigestion, bloating and even celiac disease.
- It prevents anemia as it is rich in iron and folate.
- It is beneficial for skin and treats acne and eczema.
- It has 3 times more calcium than spinach and two times more calcium than milk. It reduces the risk of osteoporosis, gout and arthritis.
- It treats all kinds of oral problems like mouth ulcers, sore throat and swollen gums.
- It is powerful in preventing hair loss and provides strength to our hair.
- Varicose veins is a condition where the veins of the legs and the feet gets enlarged. Flavonoids like rutin strengthens the walls of the capillaries thus treats this condition. Even vitamin C helps in repairing and strengthening the blood vessels.
- Vitamin A and carotenoids are excellent for eyes and helpful in treating eye disorders like cataract and macular degeneration.
- Since it is high in folate it prevents any kind of birth defects.
- It also helps in weight loss as it decreases the appetite due to high content of protein.