There is a lot of conventional wisdom on eating right that we keep hearing like having more fiber rich foods, focusing more on plant foods and most of these advices revolve around what to eat and how much to eat. However, a third parameter is also gaining lot of popularity these days namely ‘When to eat’. This technique, known as intermittent fasting, everybody seems to be talking about these days. So let us understand in details as to what actually is intermittent fasting and everything you need to know about it
What is the concept of Intermittent Fasting?
The basic concept or the physiology of intermittent fasting requires you to eat all the calories and nutrients you would ordinarily consume throughout the day within a specific time window. In simple terms, from the time you finish your dinner, you should give a minimum of 12 hrs fasting time. Lot of people do 12 hours, 14 hours or even 16 hours but the minimum thumb rule is 12 hours. Hence intermittent fasting is not a diet; it is a pattern of eating. It is a lifestyle habit.
The Science behind Intermittent Fasting?
Japanese cell biologist Dr. Yoshinori Ohsumi won the Nobel Prize in Medicine in 2016 for his research on autophagy. Autophagy is a process whereby cells recycle and renew themselves. During autophagy, cells destroy viruses and bacteria and get rid of damaged structures. It’s a process that is critical for cell health, renewal, and survival. Dr. Ohsumi showed that in people who get affected by cancers, Alzheimer’s and many other devastating diseases, body cannot clean itself i.e. the process of autophagy stops. He then went on proving that intermittent fasting reactivates the process of autophagy, which helps slow down the aging process and has a positive impact on cell renewal and overall health.
Should we do it? If yes then why?
If intermittent fasting suits you, then you should definitely make it your lifestyle. The reason is very simple. The digestive system has billions of enzymes that can either digest food or can clean our system. Shutting down the process of digestion for a while is important because the digestive system utilizes nearly 80% of our body’s energy leaving merely 20% for other processes like detoxification, repair, healing, growth, and rejuvenation. So by giving a break to your digestive processes for a while, body is able to direct all its energy towards healing and detoxification.
How to Fast Intermittently ?
There are a number of ways to actually perform intermittent fasting, but the easiest and most popular varieties involve taking advantage of your natural overnight fast by skipping breakfast and pushing the first meal of the day forward a number of hours. Once you have passed the 12 hour mark from dinner the night before, you are truly in a fasted state and you begin to rely on stored body fat for fuel. The longer you stay in the fasted state, the more metabolic practice you will get at burning stored body fat and the deeper your fat adaptation will get.
Benefits of intermittent fasting -
Right from losing weight, to correcting high blood pressure, detoxifying the body, healing lifestyle diseases like diabetes, cancers, fatty liver and also promoting healthy aging, intermittent fasting has a key role to play. According to Johns Hopkins Health Review, intermittent fasting can improve connections in the brain’s hippocampus and also protect against amyloid plaques, which are found in patients with Alzheimer’s.
How to break intermittent fasting?
Irrespective of whatever number of hours we follow i.e. 12 or 14 or 16, the best way to break intermittent fasting is with a fruit or green tea which are comparatively easy to digest. Many people after doing 16 hours IF straight away have their lunch which is not a good idea.
What should I eat during intermittent fasting?
Drink water. There is no better way to keep your body hydrated and metabolism working at an optimum level. Try to avoid green tea or black or any herbal infusion like jeera water etc.
Few myths about intermittent fasting
There are many myths that revolve around intermittent fasting. Few of the common ones are –
Who should not do intermittent fasting?
It is not recommended for pregnant women.
To conclude, Intermittent Fasting is a healthy eating practice that is deep rooted in our culture with unlimited benefits. We should aspire to make this a regular habit in order to be fit, fine and disease free lifelong.