Cancer is the second most common cause of death in India (after cardiovascular disease). Burden of cancer has nearly doubled in India over last 26 years. As per the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) data, India had 14 lakh cancer patients in 2016. The five most frequent cancers in India between men and women are breast, cervical, oral cavity, lung, and colorectal. Despite being overlooked for decades, volumes of scientific evidence prove that diet and nutrition play a leading role in cancer development. Only recently people have recognised the importance of lifestyle choices when it comes to preventing and reversing cancer.
The vast majority of Indians consume an excess of acid-forming foods like dairy products, processed food like chips, biscuits, carbonated drinks, deep-fried foods, refined flours, pastry etc. Research has shown that tumor growth increases in an acid environment. The blood is maintained in the body at a slightly alkaline level of between 7.2 and 7.4. Eating alkaline foods keeps the blood pH in its ideal range, which is important for the prevention and treatment of cancer. Ideally, the diet should consist of 80 percent alkaline-forming foods, such as those available from many raw fruits and vegetables, as well as nuts, seeds, grains, and legumes. Here is the list of top 10 foods for cancer prevention and reversal.
1) Garlic - One of the most powerful anti-cancer food. It is good for breast, brain, lung, pancreatic, prostate, childhood brain and stomach cancer.
2) Onions - They disrupt the communication between cancer cells and promote an unfavorable environment for their growth, encouraging them to die.
3) Carrot - Are rich in carotenoids and polyphenols that, along with the abundant vitamins and minerals, provide antioxidant, anti-cancer, and immune enhancing properties.
4) Beet - A wonder food for cancer reversal. It contains antioxidants like betacyanin, high levels of nitrates and folic acid which scavenge free radicals and cancer cells.
5) Walnuts - They contain the omega-3 fat – alpha-linolenic acid which fights inflammation and prevents cancer.
6) Pumpkin Seeds - It contain antioxidants like carotenoids and vitamin E, zinc and magnesium which reduces inflammation and also keeps the body alkaline.
7) Drumstick - It is a source of potent phytochemicals which enhances immunity. An excellent source to boost your immune system.
8) Celery - It contains potentially beneficial bioactives and vitamins, which is excellent for cancer prevention.
9) Cruciferous vegetables - It includes vegetables like kale, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, turnips, sarso, brussels sprouts, and bok choy. Cruciferous vegetables contain detoxifying compounds called indoles and isothiocyanates, which prevents and reverses cancer. They also contain sulforaphane, a potent anticancer agent.
10) Wheat grass - It is rich in blood-purifying chlorophyll and other important phytonutrients for detoxifying the system and rejuvenating organs.
India is claimed to have over 1.16 million new cancer cases this year, and more than 50 per cent of these will be diagnosed in women, as per reports by WHO. However with right food & lifestyle, we can, not only prevent but also reverse cancer.