Black beans are a part of kidney bean family. It is a staple crop of Central, South and North America. Black beans are widely used with brown rice, in mexican burritos or tacos, feijoada, salads and soup. They are rich in fiber, protein, vitamin A, calcium, iron, manganese, flavonoids, antioxidants like anthocyanin, omega-3 fatty acid. Folic acid, copper, vitamin B1, magnesium and phosphorus.
Why should you consume black beans?
- Phytonutrients like flavonoids named delphinidin, petunidin, malvidin helps in decreasing the inflammation and regulates fat metabolism and also causes excretion of excess cholesterol. They are high in soluble fiber thus removes cholesterol and keeps the heart healthy. It helps in keeping the arteries clean. Moreover, folate and magnesium keeps our cardiovascular system healthy and prevents deposition of the fat around the heart. It has omega-3 fatty acid therefore, balances with omega-6 fatty acid which helps in improving blood circulation.
- Flavonoids and phytochemicals has both antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties therefore, protects against cancer especially colon cancer. Flavonoids are located in the coating of the seed. Around eight kinds of flavonoids are present. These fights against the free radicals. Anthocyanins inhibits the growth of the blood vessels, tumors and increases the apoptosis of the cancerous cells.
- Protein and fiber cures digestive related issues. They are digested slowly and therefore keeps one full and prevents overeating. The soluble fiber absorbs the water and cures constipation and irritable bowel syndrome.
- Fiber helps in the absorption of nutrients, release of acid into the bloodstream, improves the function of the liver, maintains pH level and keeps the gut flora in balance.
- It provides energy for long period of time due to the presence of complex carbohydrates.
- As it has complex carbohydrates, it therefore forms sugar called glucose which does not raise the blood sugar level. It is low in glycemic index and keeps the blood sugar level stable thus, good for diabetic people.
- Molybdenum helps in the detoxification of the sulfite found in the wines, dried fruits and few vegetables. The sulphite causes headache and disorientation. Molybdenum further helps in producing energy, development of the nervous system and cures impotency and erectile dysfunctioning.
- Magnesium found in black beans helps in protein synthesis, blood pressure regulation, control of blood sugar, produces energy and releases neurotransmitter and assist in nerve functioning.
- Iron prevents fatigue, weakness and irritable bowel syndrome.
- The protein found in black beans being plant based is much healthier and thus cures weakness, cataract, balances hormones, builds and repair tissues and also provides energy.
- Folate is good for the foetus and prevents birth defects.
- Being rich in fiber and protein, it aids in weight loss.