Where Do I get Protein? Green peas Is It?
Green peas are used and grown worldwide. It is known by many different names like english peas, pease, garden peas and snap peas. Peas are usually sweet in taste. It is rich in vitamin C, vitamin B9, vitamin K and have trace amounts of vitamin B1, copper, iron, manganese and amino acids like tryptophan, threonine, isoleucine and lysine. It has fiber, protein and anti-inflammatory compounds like pisumsaponins I and II and pisomosides A and B as.
Why should you consume green peas?
- It reduces inflammation thus, helps in preventing many chronic inflammatory diseases.
- The fiber present in peas removes the toxins and keeps the digestive tract healthy. It also relieves of constipation.
- Peas are rich in iron and thus provides energy and cures anemia and fatigue.
- Vitamin K helps in the absorption of calcium which is required to keep bones healthy. Folic acid and vitamin B1 prevents osteoporosis.
- Manganese prevents high levels of blood sugar by regulating a process known as gluconeogenesis where the proteins amino acids are converted to sugar which causes increase in the blood sugar level. Therefore, helps in fighting diabetes.
- Antioxidants found in peas keeps the skin healthy, free of toxins and free radicals. It prevents premature aging and also treats acne.
- Peas regulates mood and treats depression due to the presence of folate.
- Thiamine found in green peas reduces stress, prevents memory loss and increases retention power and energy.
- Vitamin C helps in boosting the immunity.
- Vitamin K keeps the heart healthy and lowers the blood pressure which in turn reduces the chances of stroke.
- Vitamin B9 reduces the birth defects and keeps the baby healthy.
- Green peas being rich in copper, protects the skeletal, cardiovascular and nervous system.
- Antioxidants, anti-inflammatory compounds and polyphenolic compound named coumestrol helps in preventing stomach cancer.
- It prevents occurrence of restless leg syndrome due to the presence of iron.
- Vitamin C increases the blood supply to the ocular region therefore cures cataract.
- It helps in managing weight as they are low in calories.