Fiber Packed Superfood : Chia Seeds
Chia seeds are highly known for their nutritional and medicinal values. It was initially used by runners and soldiers as it provided energy for running and fighting. Due to advancement in scientific research it has been seen that chia seeds are very effective in protecting human beings from various diseases. One spoonful of chia seeds provides enough fiber. Chia seeds contains approximately 20% omega 3 fatty acids, 37% dietary fiber, 20% protein and the rest consists of antioxidants, vitamins like A, B, E, D and minerals like calcium, potassium, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc, copper, sulfur, niacin, manganese and thiamine.
Why should you consume chia seeds?
- Chia seeds can stop up to 70% of the free radical damage, thus protecting our skin from inflammation and also helps in slowing down aging process.
- Chia seeds are high in dietary fiber therefore acts as a natural balancer of blood insulin and sugar levels.
- Due to high content of fiber, it helps in healthy stool and regulates the bowel movements.
- Chia seeds gives the feeling of fullness because as soon as it enters the stomach it absorbs good amount of water and expands in the stomach. This suppresses the appetite and curbs hunger therefore aids in weight loss. It also helps in reducing the belly fat.
- Chia seeds have soluble fibers, therefore when consumed forms gels like substance in the body and helps in the growth of probiotics in the gut.
- Chia seeds have high content of omega 3 fatty acids, which helps in reversing the inflammation, lowers cholesterol and blood pressure. Thus helps in reversing atherosclerosis. Moreover, chia seeds have linoleic fatty acids which absorbs fat soluble vitamins like A,D,E and K.
- The alpha linoleic acid and fiber in chia seeds prevents insulin resistance and dyslipidemia that is excess fats in the blood. Thus they protect from diabetes. If incase a person is consuming chia seeds with sugar rich diet, his sugar & insulin levels will be normal, or if a person who already has diabetes and consumes chia seeds for two consecutive months his diabetes is reversed.
- Chia seeds boosts energy and metabolism.
- Chia seeds contains calcium that is required for making stronger bones and increasing their mass. It also contains boron which helps in metabolizing calcium, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus required for the growth and development of healthy bones and muscles.
- As the seeds can retain ten times of water therefore, it keeps us full and hydrated for a longer period of time.
- Alpha linoleic acid, an omega 3 fatty acid destroys the cancerous cells. It fights against breast and cervical cancer.
- Calcium, phosphorus, vitamin A and zinc all keeps our teeth and gums healthy.
- It also helps in in pregnancy to both the mother and the child by providing iron, nutrients, calcium and omega 3 fatty acid.