Tamarind is a sweet and sour fruit. In hindi it is known as imli. It is used both as medicinally and for cooking purpose. It is also available in its dried form. The dried tamarind is often used in candies. Tamarind is rich in vitamin C, vitamin E, B vitamins, calcium, iron, potassium, phosphorus, manganese and fiber.
Why should you consume tamarind?
- It acts as a natural laxative and thus treats chronic constipation.
- The fiber adds bulk to the stool, facilitates easy movement and therefore, treats the problem of piles. It stimulates the activity of the bile juice hence promotes better digestion.
- Tamarind effectively lowers the blood pressure and cholesterol. The fiber present in tamarind removes the excess LDL cholesterol from the veins and thus prevents atherosclerosis.
- Vitamin C helps in boosting immune system and metabolism of our body.
- It is a great source of iron therefore, helps in increasing red blood cell counts and cures anemia.
- B complex vitamins especially thiamine improves the function of the nerves and keeps one active and strong.
- It has a compound called hydroxycitric acid which helps in weight loss by inhibiting and blocking the enzyme which stores fat. It also helps in decreasing the appetite.
- It blocks the enzyme alpha amylase which absorbs carbohydrates and prevents the conversion of carbohydrates to sugar. It monitors the spikes in insulin and blood glucose level therefore, keeps a check on diabetes.
- Being anti-inflammatory in nature, it reduces the inflammation which treats gout, arthritis and conjunctivitis.
- It has antiparasitic and antiseptic property which decreases chances of infection.