Health Benefits of Plum
Plum belongs to the family of rich cherries and peaches. Dried plums are known as prunes. Dried version has higher amounts of nutrients. Plums are an excellent source of vitamin A, vitamin C, folate and vitamin K. It is also rich in B vitamins like B1, B2, B3 and B6. Vitamin E is also found in plums. Minerals like potassium, fluoride, phosphorus, magnesium, iron, calcium and zinc are found in high quantities in plums. Plums have various types of phenols, flavonoids, fiber and has zero fats.
Why should you consume plums?
- It is rich in antioxidants like vitamin C, phytonutrients like lutein, cryptoxanthin, zeaxanthin, neochlorogenic and chlorogenic acid. They gobble up the oxygen radicals like superoxide anions therefore protect against the free radicals. The phenols present in the plum has a protective effect on the essential fats found in the neurons and cell membrane therefore, protects against the oxidative stress.
- Plums have bioactive compounds which helps in treating obesity and metabolic syndrome. Anthocyanins, chlorogenic acid, quercetin, catechin all are anti-obesity and anti-inflammatory in nature.
- It has anti-hyperglycemic effect therefore decreases blood glucose and triglycerides. Flavonoids protects against the insulin resistance and promotes insulin sensitivity.
- Dried plums have flavonoids like caffeic acid and rutin which prevents degradation of the bone tissue and therefore, prevents osteoporosis.
- Fiber, sorbitol and isatin found in plum regulates the digestive system. The dried plum has more concentrated form of fiber therefore relieves of constipation effectively. Sorbitol and isatin both are laxative in nature thus, flushes out the toxins from the stomach and colon.
- Flavonoids present in the plum provides protection for the cognitive health. It improves the memory and learning capacity. It prevents age related neurodegenerative diseases like Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s.
- Vitamin B6 is required for the functioning of the nervous system. It helps in the growth of the brain. It has an amino acid called tryptophan which produces neurotransmitter called serotonin which controls sleep, appetite and concentration.
- It increases the fluidity of the blood therefore, ensures smooth flow of the blood in the blood vessels. Vitamin K found in plums prevents calcification of the arteries therefore, decreases the risk of atherosclerosis. Vitamin K also regulates the blood pressure.
- It boosts our immune system due to the presence of vitamin C.
- Dried plum cures hypercholesterolemia and hyperlipidemia. The soluble fiber decreases the LDL cholesterol by preventing its absorption and circulation. It also helps in increasing the HDL cholesterol.
- It also aids in weight loss.
- Iron and copper helps in the formation of the red blood cells. It purifies the blood and increases the circulation. Copper is required for the health of the nerves. It also helps in the formation of collagen.