Poppy seeds are also known as Khus Khus in hindi. They are kidney shaped seeds. They add color and crunch to baked dishes. Poppy seeds are rich of oleic & linoleic acids, niacin, folate, calcium, zinc, iron, manganese, vitamin B, phytochemicals and thiamine.
Why should you consume poppy seeds?
- It treats insomnia effectively as it induces desire of sleeping.
- As it contains high amounts of fiber therefore, it helps in bowel movements and treats constipation.
- Due to its expectorant and demulcent properties it provides relief from cough and also treats asthma.
- The antioxidants found in poppy seeds reduces the amount of free radicals and decreases the level of oxidative stress which causes chronic diseases.
- It prevents formation of kidney stones. Poppy seeds have oxalates which absorbs the calcium and therefore, prevents the formation of the kidney stones.
- It has small amounts of nicotine and morphine therefore, it acts as a sedative and calms the nervous irritability.
- It can be used as a painkiller and so it can cure tooth ache, muscular pain and neuralgic pain.
- It is good for the skin as it reduces the rashes, itching and burning sensation. It also treats eczema as it has linoleic acid.
- Calcium found in poppy seeds are good for bones and prevents osteoporosis.
- Phosphorus helps in the formation of the DNA and provides energy.
- Iron helps in building proteins, neurotransmitters and also increases the oxygen content of the cells.
- Zinc supports the structure of the proteins and also helps in developing new cells.