Health Benefits of Almonds
Almonds are being used since ancient times and still being used widely throughout the world. It is not only used in food but in cosmetic too. Almonds are very expensive. It contains both monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fatty acids, dietary fiber, antioxidants, vitamin E, riboflavin, manganese, magnesium, phosphorus, calcium, iron, zinc, selenium and copper. The fats found in almonds are extremely healthy and does not cause weight gain. Almond milk is very nutritious and is an alternative to cow’s milk.
Why should you consume almonds?
- Almonds are rich in monounsaturated fatty acids and antioxidants therefore, its supports heart health. The minerals and vitamins helps in lowering the LDL cholesterol and thus prevents plaque deposition. It manages blood pressure as well.
- It is considered as one of the best food for brain. It contains riboflavin and L-carnitine which increases cognitive function and neurological activity of the brain. It reduces inflammation and thus prevents dementia.
- Vitamin E is very good for skin. Almonds has compounds which fights against skin cancer, protects against UV light, pollution, poor diet, reduces blackheads, pimples and acne.
- Since almonds are rich in monounsaturated fatty acids they cause slow release of glucose into the bloodstream and prevents insulin resistance and inflammation.
- It is good for weight loss as it keeps one full for a longer period of time and avoids unhealthy snacking and also reduces cravings.
- It helps in absorption of fat soluble nutrients. It maintains normal pH required for digestion and thus prevents diseases. It also regulates digestive enzymes which synthesize cholesterol and bile acid.
- It keeps the gut flora healthy and removes bad bacteria as it acts as a prebiotic precursor.
- Gamma tocopherol a form of vitamin E is a potent antioxidant which fights off cancer. It reduces the risk of colon, prostate and breast cancer.
- It keeps bones and teeth healthy.
- Almond oil is good for hair as it treats dandruff, hair fall problems and prevents graying of hair.
- Almond oil helps in removal of dark circles under the eyes.
- Being rich in copper, iron and vitamins it treats anemia.
- It reduces rise of sugar after the meals and thus controls blood sugar level.
- It is used as aphrodisiac as it increases the blood flow to the reproductive organs.
- Fiber present in almonds cures constipation.