Health benefits of zucchini
Zucchini is an ancient time vegetable as it is believed to be cultivated since 10,000 years ago. It has now become very known and found in almost all the grocery stores. It is extremely low in calories and has very low glycemic index. It has high content of water, potassium, manganese, vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin K, riboflavin, vitamin B6, folate and zero fat.
Why should you consume zucchini?
- Rich source of antioxidants, vitamin C, vitamin A, superoxide dismutase, glutathione peroxidase, glucose-6-phosphatase. It is rich in carotenoids as well.
- Vitamin C protects against inflammation, lining of the blood cells, reduces blood pressure and also prevents clotting inside the arteries therefore it boosts our immune system.
- It is largely made up of water and carbohydrates.
- It has high amounts of fiber called pectin which is a polysaccharide and which helps in lowering the cholesterol therefore, improving heart’s health.
- It protects against insulin resistance therefore, diabetes.
- It is extremely good for weight loss as it is low in calories.
- Being rich in potassium, it forms as a natural remedy to lower blood pressure. It keeps one hydrated therefore improves digestion by balancing electrolytes and also helps in absorption of nutrients.
- It has anti-inflammatory property which helps in reducing irritable bowel syndrome, ulcers, leaky gut syndrome.
- It naturally treats constipation and diarrhea. Carotenoids, lutein, zeaxanthin protects our eyes and therefore, treats glaucoma, cataract, macular degeneration.
- The B vitamins present in zucchini promotes healthy metabolism of protein, carbohydrates and nucleic acid.
- It is good for cognitive health, prevents fatigue and promotes good mood.
- It is very good for diabetic individual as it is low in glycemic index therefore, prevents sugar spikes and regulates blood sugar level.
- It balances thyroid and adrenal function.
- Being rich in Vitamin C, cures asthma.
- It prevents diseases like scurvy and bruising.
- It decreases homocysteine levels.
- It reduces the risk of multiple sclerosis.